Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Last year I was at a concert (Robert Cray) and signed up to receive periodic emails from the Northeast Ohio Blues Association (NEOBA). This morning I received one of those emails and it led to a great discovery: The Sound of Blue.

The Sound of Blue is a shop devoted to the Blues.  It sells CDs, records, tapes, videos, etc. It's been in business for 18 years, but I only learned of its existence today.  The store's mailing address is Kent, Ohio but it's actually located in the neighboring town of Brimfield.

I know Kent very well but know Brimfield very little.  It's mostly a place I drive through.  I'll be returning often now.  The Sound of Blue is a gem.

I spent over an hour this morning talking to the proprietor, Joe Vassel.  I also spent all the cash in my wallet on 2 CDs ( a Robert Lockwood, Jr. live recording and a Junior Wells compilation which features Muddy Waters, Elmore James and Otis Spann on it).*

It was enjoyable talking with Mr. Vassel.  I can't wait to repeat the experience.  He tickled me when he said that the building we stood talking in was originally a parsonage.  I laughed and he said "Yeah, the devil's music in God's house."







*Only cash and checks are accepted.  No credit cards.  When I return it will be with checkbook in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment