Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I was depressed for the last few days but am feeling better now. I think a big factor in that depression was reading Spalding Gray's Journals. His coming apart at the end was heartbreaking.

I tend at times to overempathize with people (real and as imagined). It makes for emotional difficulties. A lot of the difficulty has to do with the ways in which I compensate or overcompensate for those feelings--which often leads to misinterpretations by others of my intentions, or even of my intelligence. It's akin to being overwhelmed by something or someone very beautiful and only being able to stutter and drool as immediate response. And then wondering why everyone is staring.

I'm not inarticulate, but I can't always articulate right away what my response to something/someone is. I think of what I should have said at the party a day or so later. Only one of the reasons that I very seldom go to parties. This is something I need to work on. While there's still time.

1 comment:

  1. Oberlin College Library recently acquired one of your works. Please contact me before I catalog it. shasley@oberlin.edu -- Thanks, Sara

    ReplyDelete