Monday, August 26, 2013

I've always been a poet who values concision.  Still, it has been a goal  to work in longer forms.  If you have been following my work at all, you'll be familiar with  some of those attempts.  Longer forms to this point have been poems of 10, 20, 30 pages.

Appearances is the longest project I've attempted to date. Around 100 pages completed so far.  Maybe 50 left to go.  The manuscript is crawling along at this point.  I'm very frustrated, but I'm learning a surprising number of things along the way.  One virtually never knows what one knows until one tries to do something that seems impossible.

Here's the thing: I'm 60 years old and I'm trying to make this one big (for me) book that doesn't do many of things that a book is conventionally supposed to do, but a book that might...

2 comments:

  1. You're only 60. You're just a kid. Perfect time to kick out the jams. I'm glad you're taking this ride. A time will come when ... (I should know. I'm old now. I'm 62.)

    My psychic powers (!) tell me that you will finish the thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your psychic powers are right, John (oh maestro of thousand page poems--I've no clue how you do it).

    ReplyDelete