Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Listening to Keith Jarrett: The Impulse Years, 1973-1974, a lovely 5 disc set.

All the fans are going.  It feels like rain.

*

I've been leafing through Being Nude: The Skin of Images (Fordham University Press, 2014) by Jean-Luc Nancy and Federico Ferrari.  It's a book of  meditations on 26 pictures, photos, paintings which are arranged alphabetically by subject.  It goes like this:

A    Acephalus
B    Bathsheba
C    Caress
D    Disfiguration
E    Equivocal
F    Fenestration
G   Goya
H   Humus
I    Incarnate
J    Joker
K   Khaos
L   Lumbar
M  Model
N  Nimbus
O  Optic
P  Presence
Q  Quodlibet
R   Resurrection
S   Scopophilia
T   Trans
U  Use
V  Veritas
W  We
X    X
Y   Y
Z    Zero

I'm going to sip this book slowly.  I know it's going to be delicious.  And I'm wondering if I might find some inspiration in it for new work of my own.

*

Listening to Charlie Haden's bass playing on the Jarrett discs and thinking about the power and resonance of individual notes.

*



No comments:

Post a Comment