Thursday, January 5, 2012

Listening to Magnetic Fields' 69 Love Songs. A CD set I first learned of while talking with Geof Huth in Cambridge, Mass. (circa 2007?). That seems like a lifetime ago. When Geof and I were friends.

*

Tuesday (two days ago) we had about a foot of snow. Happily the weather has moderated since then.

*

I'm trying to teach myself some new routines. Am building Appearances very slowly, fully cognizant that it is a project which will take at least a year to pull off.

*

One of the things I'm having a bit of an adjustment issue with is a sense of isolation. When I was a wage slave I spent a lot of time talking with people. Which I miss to an extent. I'm realizing that I can't just stare at screens and books all day. Which is pretty much what I've been doing for the last two weeks. I'm not complaining, mind you. I just need to figure out the balance to be struck between artwork, housework, socializing, etc. I'll get there.

*

I've always managed to do a lot of reading. Now I'm trying to kick the reading into overdrive. Partly in service of the new writing project. But also because I'll never be able to read all the things I want to. I'm just going to be damn sure to get through as much as I can while I can. Am particularly batting away at a number of philosophy texts.

*

In a funny way writing everyday, as I have for the last couple of weeks, is making me ask more questions of myself about why I am doing what I'm doing as a writer. I have the time now to really agonize about every word.

*

What I miss about the Hellth Dept. is positive interaction with people. What I don't miss are all the negative interactions, various sorts of politics, etc. It was, in many ways, an interesting career but one I wouldn't choose to do over in another life.

I do have lots of good stories from my time there. Funny thing about good Hellth Dept. stories--they're good in retrospect. Not so much at the time they took place.

*

I'm going to try to learn to relax again into regular blogging. Later, agitators.

*

4 comments:

  1. the issue of time, once your time is your own - and how to balance things so that time doesn't get flabby (useless) - and you feel energized -- how to accomplish what you want to accomplish. these are indeed the issues of retirement. on the one hand it's a great luxury - on the other it requires accelerated strategizing... esp when you work alone and have things to accomplish. the responsibility increases dramatically at this point - it's all up to you & you're in a new school. is it any wonder so many people go to seed after retirement?

    ReplyDelete
  2. November of 2007, Tom. And this post resonated so much for me--especially the issue of having to develop new routines and of having lots of (teacher) stories to tell that aren't so much fun as you're living them.

    By the way, I've been asked to do a reading at my high school--Wednesday at 7:05 a.m.!I could probably hook you up with one, too . . . just say the word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy,

    Good luck with the reading. Thanks for the offer, but I'm probably the last person who should read at a high school. Let alone at that early hour.

    Cheers,

    T

    ReplyDelete