Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Girls

I am the father of two daughters.  This morning my oldest daughter gave birth to her first child, a girl.

A few moments ago I finished reading Kate Zambreno's Heroines.  It's a fierce and inspiring book.

So girls are on my mind.

I am not writing my daughter or her baby's name and particulars because that is my daughter's desire.  She wishes privacy in these matters.

Zambreno's Heroines is about writing the mess of personhood, about making the private public.  I think it is a book which will find a large audience over the course of time.  Its sincerity and grace are undeniable.  It's a book which is particularly addressed to women but which I truly hope men will read because I think it has a lot to say to us.

In flipping back and forth between notes about my daughter and KZ I'm not making comparisons.  I fiercely love my daughter and her baby melts my heart.  My daughter, by the way, is a genius in her own way.

Later.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you! Best wishes to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Tom. It's a happy, happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear Tom, my deepest congratulations to you and your wife and of course your daughter and of course she has genius look at her father! And that baby girl will be a barn burner I promise. In the best of ways.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps. My son says congratulations and cigars all around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. there is no better news than the birth of a loved child. happy birthday! and congratulations to her lucky mother and grandpappy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Rebecca & Paige.

    Thank you, Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to you and your family, Tom!

    ReplyDelete