Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Snow and golden
maple leaves falling.  Beautiful but weird
chance of thunder snow later today.
That's always disturbing.

*

My guitar teacher keeps pushing me to play faster.  He says it's actually easier to play fast than slow.  I have not found that to be the case so far.  His playing faster than me while I was trying to copy what he was playing gave me an insight though.  I said: I think I'm having trouble correctly (I almost typed "colorectally") remembering the pattern you're playing  because of your speed, because the overtones make me think you're playing notes that you're not playing.  I am gradually learning to hear music differently.  Some days I can't listen to anything because it makes my brain hurt.  Other days I'm capable of doing little else.

*

Chromatic scales.  Minor blues
scale.  Single note riff.
Chance of thunder snow.

*

2 comments:

  1. It's easier to play fast than it is to play slow because when you are playing slow you have to pay more attention to the sound of the notes themselves the lifespan of the notes what happens to the notes once the vibrations are in the air how to control that. I tell all my students the same thing. Except with a violin it's about bow control and how much easier it is to play short staccato notes as compared to the mastery it takes to pull a bow across the violin in one long note and make it sound perfect from frog to tip. Uses more muscles. Takes a lot more training. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca,

    Thanks for the comment. I need to gird my loins and start trying to play faster.

    ReplyDelete