Friday, December 6, 2013

The day after a guitar class (today for example) I often feel physically and emotionally exhausted.  How much effort is required for even the most pathetic expressions of sound.  There's so much to attend to.  And when I'm observed, measured, I change, tense up, etc.  Perfect example of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, no?

There are glimmers of hope at times.  Today I was obsessively playing, among other things, a simple chord progression: B minor, A, G; B minor, A, G over and over.  And when I got tired of playing it on the new acoustic (which I love) I played it for awhile on the Stratocaster.  For the record, I like B minor.

*

Snow's coming down.  Every year I dread our Midwestern winters a little more.

*

Wednesday I had dinner with the friend I hadn't seen/heard from for something like 25 years.  It was an emotional encounter--a lovely 3 hour talk.  I'm haunted by our conversation.  Haunted, too, by memories of our past.  It was as if we were picking up the conversation from where we had left off all those many years ago.  Am hoping there will be other opportunities for such exchanges before he leaves the country.

*

Listening to Gov't Mule's Shout! cd.  Warren Haynes is at his best on this one.

*

I've been publishing poetry for 40 years now.  I have learned some things.  It's striking, though, that my core obsessions were formed early on.  There is, regardless of the quality of the individual text, a through line in my work.  Sometimes shockingly so.

*

I'm thinking about how time as it is experienced telescopes back and forth between the past and the present.

*




No comments:

Post a Comment