Saturday, August 18, 2012

One of the books I read this week is Marshall McLuhan's The Medium is the Massage: An Inventory of Effects.  I must have read, or skimmed, an earlier edition of this book in the late 60s or early 70s, but I really don't remember.  As I didn't remember the subtitle: "An Inventory of Effects."  A very evocative subtitle, that one.  It should be the title of a poem, if it hasn't already.

Nor did I remember that the cavalcade of text and images which comprises The Medium is the Massage is bracketed by two quotes from A.N. Whitehead.  The first:

"The major advances in civilization are processes that all but wreck the societies in which they occur."

The second:

"It is the business of the future to be dangerous."

Both of these quotes are beautifully apt in context and otherwise.  I find myself dwelling on them and thinking that every moment is someone's future.

*




No comments:

Post a Comment