Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Appearances Update

As I mentioned in an earlier post I've been away from my ongoing project Appearances: A Novel in 365 Fragments.

As things stand I'm about 50 pages into the project after 9 months of working on it.

Today I read through the whole thing slowly and carefully.  I made some edits and added a few lines.  And I started meditating about what should happen next.

While Tammy is a straight ahead exploration of scary id-ish things, Appearances is idea driven work with a sort of allegorical collage structure, all laid out in numbered fragments.  I'm a little more than a third of the way through a first draft.

I'm doubting I'll make my goal of a first draft by the end of this year.  But who knows.  Sometimes I go for days without being able to add anything to it.  And then, all of a sudden, I'll have a day when I come up with a few additional fragments.

There's an interesting associational logic working through the project, a sort of philosophical inquiry about the Nature of Things going on.  It's recognizably my writing.  And, yet, I've never written anything quite like it before.




No comments:

Post a Comment